This 8-hour training course gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care. It focuses on the unique experiences and needs of firefighters and EMS personnel and is a valuable resource that can make a difference in their lives, their coworkers’ and families’ lives, and the communities they serve.
WHO SHOULD TAKE IT?
Other first responders
Family members of first responders
WHAT IT COVERS:
• A discussion of first responder culture, stigma and their relevance to the topic of mental health.
• Outreach tactics to respond to individuals experiencing a mental health crisis.
• A discussion of the specific risk factors faced by many first responders and their families.
• A review of common mental health resources for first responders, their families and those who
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
• Assess for risk of suicide or harm
• Listen non judgmentally
• Give reassurance and information
• Encourage appropriate professional help
• Encourage self-help and other support strategies