This 8-hour training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care. It focuses on the unique experiences and needs of public safety personnel and is a valuable resource that can make a difference in their lives, their coworkers’ and families’ lives, and the communities they serve.
WHO SHOULD TAKE IT?
Other first responders
911 dispatch staff
WHAT IT COVERS:
• Defusing crises.
• Promoting mental health literacy.
• Combating stigma of mental illness.
• Enabling early intervention through recognition of signs and symptoms.
• Connecting people to care.
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
• Assess for risk of suicide or harm
• Listen non judgmentally
• Give reassurance and information
• Encourage appropriate professional help
• Encourage self-help and other support strategies